What is the difference between educational technology and instructional technology?
by Sheila Koester
Elementary students learning basic computer science concepts
Educational technology is a field of study that investigates the process of analyzing, developing, designing, implementing and evaluating the instructional environment and learning materials in order to improve teaching and learning.
Instructional technology can also be seen as a process of solving educational problems and concerns. These might include motivation, the drop-out rate, discipline, school violence, basic skills, critical thinking and other educational concerns on the list.
1. the problem is identified
2. an analysis of the factors of the problem is conducted
3. possible solutions to the problem are presented
4. the student population and the curriculum are analyzed
5. the next step is to select the most appropriate instructional strategies for the particular situation
6. instructional materials and resources are selected that are suitable for the curriculum and mode of instruction selected
7. the program is implemented, evaluated and revised as needed
8. the stated goals for school improvement are met